What Skills Are Most in Demand?
Posted on March 5, 2015 | By Trish Kowalchyk
We are continuously asked, “What skills are most in demand?”
Here are some of job titles and some highly desirable technologies for you to look into and potentially work toward getting yourself experience in so that you and your skills will be in demand !
- Senior Project Managers – we always need a few. Some with some certain vertical industry experience, i.e.: Financial Services, Healthcare, Saas.
- Java Developers or Sr. Software Engineers or Software Developers; I have been recruiting since 2003 and have always need Java folks with UI experience, JSP, JSF, J2EE, Hibernate, Struts, Spring, EXTJS, some Chef and Puppet.
- .Net Developers or Sr. Software Engineers or Software Developers; about 1/3 as hot as Java. MVC, UI/Mobile, ASP.Net, SQL Server, VB.Net.
- Data Warehouse developers, ETL, ODI, and/or Informatica and Cognos experience
- Oracle Developers, OBIEE. Oracle E-Business Suite experience.
- DBA’s, Database Analysts; Oracle and SQL and some DB2 experience.
- Developers, Engineers, also called Sr. Programmer Analysts.
- Agile Software Development.
- Solution Architect experience.
- Sr. Enterprise Architect experience.
- Business Analyst, gathering requirements.
- Cloud is huge, Ruby experience is huge, Salesforce.com development is real big, Hadoop is big,
- Network Engineers, with Security experience. CISSP, CCIE and other Cisco certifications.
From time to time we get opportunities for people with Hyperion, Tivoli, Archer, GoldenGate, Websphere, Infosphere, WESB, Duck Creek, Guidewire and other such unique and desirable experience.
We are also asked how does one get the above experience. Classes and training alone are not alone going to result in a client asking for you, though education never hurts.
Try to figure out how to get yourself into an opportunity where you will be able to get exposure to and utilize the technology you would like to become proficient and eventually an expert in.